Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Advice from Magazines: Fixing a Broken Compact

I read a lot of magazines.  

Like A LOT of magazines.  

Often I come across little blurbs that are interesting nuggets of information, but I never get to put them into use.... until NOW!

I had been flipping through the December 2012 issue of Cosmopolitan and saw this little nugget of information:
HOW TO SALVAGE A SHATTERED COMPACT
Replacing a broken powder, bronzer or shadow isn't your only option.  Instead, add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the broken bits, then stir to create a pastelike texture.  Re-form it with the back of a spoon, and let it dry overnight.  It'll look (and function) like a fresh palette by morning.
I was intrigued.  But not intrigued enough to shatter one of my compacts.  Then, a co-worker approached me and asked me when I was going to place another make-up order.  Seems her husband dropped the brand new compact of foundation she got for Christmas.




This seemed like a good of time as any to give it a whirl!  So I assembled some tools:



Rubbing Alcohol
Eye Dropper
Waxing Stick / Spoon

The little beaker isn't necessary, it just made it easier to get some alcohol into the dropper.

And it's kind of cool.




As you may know, there are several different types of alcohol, the most common one being isopropyl alcohol.  I don't know if it has to be rubbing alcohol, but that's what the tip suggested.

(1) I gathered as much of the powder into the case that you can & try to evenly spread it out to the edges.  At first I was going to leave the large clumps of make-up intact, but you should break up any large pieces.  You're going to be reforming the powder, so it is going to be mashed up anyway.


(2) Then add drops, about 5 at a time and lightly stir with the waxing stick or spoon until the powder makes a paste.  The paste should be lightly damp and hold together when pressed.  It should not be fluid. It took me 25 drops before it started holding together.  Remember, the amount is determined by the size of the compact and the make-up you're using, so it may be less or more depending on those two things.




(3) Press the compact back into a smooth shape with the back of a spoon or with the stick.  I used my fingers to press out the edges.  Just make sure your hands are clean and dry first.

Then it's a waiting game.  You have to let it set overnight.  I waited for her to come in the next day and, YES, it worked!



It felt a little delicate, but she used a sponge and it didn't crumble apart and didn't feel any different on her skin.  We hung it upside down and shook it to see if it would fall out.  It stayed in place.



So this gets my thumbs up for a working solution to a shattered compact with a couple of notes:

  1. This compact was a single color.  I don't know how well it works for mutli-colored bronzers or blush since you have to mash everything up and won't be able to keep the design or colors separate.
  2. This is a matte heavy powder.  I can't guarantee that it will work the same for lighter products like eye shadows or anything with a shimmer included in the compact.
Of course, once you've broken a product, there isn't any harm in trying since you'll have to replace it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment