Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Experiencing HydroMassage

As some of you may or may not know, I have Fibromyalgia.  It is a muscular and nerve disorder that causes constant pain, fatigue, memory and, when it gets bad enough, depression.  One of the things that can help someone with Fibromyalgia is massage, but that can get quite expensive if you need it more than once a month.  Also, not all massage therapists are familiar with this condition and you can end up leaving your massage in a little more pain than you anticipated.

At my monthly Fibromyalgia support group, we were given cards for a free trial for a HydroMassage from priorityfitness, a personal training center.  Some of the group members had already tried it and said it helped them, so I decided to do a little research.   

Essentially, you lie on a heated massage water bed (much firmer than a traditional water bed that you sleep on) fully clothed and a travelling jet works from your ankles to your neck.  It seems as though it is able to sense where your body is at on the bed so it conforms to your shape as the jets move up and down.  You start on your back, but you can turn on your side or on your stomach if that is something you need.  It is fully customizable, so you can select the pressure, speed and location of your massage.  The fancier models, like the one I was on, allow you to play music and movies as well.

I was looking for some help with the following issues:
  • Severe muscle tightness concentrating on my back
  • What seem to be immovable knots in between and on top of my shoulders
  • Basic relaxation
When I arrived for my appointment, I was taken back to the private room where the table was located.  I got a quick tutorial on how to customize my massage and was encouraged to let it do my entire back at first so I could experience what it felt like on my legs and back.  He then punched in a code and set my massage for 15 minutes.  I was left to relax on the bed in a room with dimmed lights.

Since I have some serious issues with my back and I seem to be impervious to strong massage, I cranked up the strength to its top level.  I opted to keep it on a medium speed up and down my body and kept it in the range from my ankles to my neck.  It started on my ankles and the jets slowly began to make their way up my legs and to my back.

Here were some of things that surprised and delighted me:
  • It seemed to mold to the shape of my legs and managed to massage not only the backs but the sides of them.  Most of the time, massage therapists concentrate on the back since that is where most people carry the greatest amount of tension.  The legs tend to be an afterthought.  Here they were being treated to a firm massage without neglecting my back.
  • One of the tender point locations for Fibromyalgia patients includes the base of the hips.  To effectively massage that spot, you have to massage the client’s butt… something that a lot of people are uncomfortable having done.  For me, this is where I experience the most pain in a massage, so I was delighted as the jets worked up the outside and inside of my thighs (another tender spot and one that massage therapists tend to stay away from since it is a private area on a person’s body) and across my backside without me being embarrassed or having any pain.  I’ll admit, I was a little leery at first, but soon was looking forward to the jets passing across my backside as it was heading to my legs and back.
  • While I have knots in my shoulders, my lower back’s muscles are usually like solid brick.  The jets worked them nicely and loosened them up enough for me to enjoy the work being done on my upper back.
  • The heat of the table was fantastic.  Even though I wasn’t under a blanket, I felt toasty warm and completely relaxed.
  • It definitely got my systems moving.  I felt like I could take a deeper breath when I was done and I could definitely feel blood moving to all my extremities.
Some of the things that could have been better:
  • While the jets were powerful, they didn’t work on my knots very well.  Not that it didn’t feel good or didn’t loosen up my muscles, but in terms of trigger point therapy, it fell short.  That being said, by the end of the 15 minutes, I could feel exactly where the knots were located, so it did its job.
  • The system wasn’t as easy to work once the massage started.  I tried to focus on my back and couldn’t get it to recognize that it should work from my shoulders to my rear.  I remedied that by slowing down the jets as it passed over my back, but still, once it started, the touch screen wasn’t as responsive as when he was setting up the machine.
  • One of the benefits to owners is that they don’t need a massage therapist to be in the room, but it does take away a very important part of the massage – intake.  There was no one there to make sure I didn’t have any health issues that would make massage risky.  Also, there was no one there to make sure I was alright after the massage was completed or to offer me water which is imperative after receiving any type of massage.
So what was my final verdict?

If I had paid for the session, it would have been well worth the money.  I left feeling loose and most important – relaxed.  It would feel FANTASTIC post workout and since I’m getting ready to start a new fitness regimen, I’m seriously thinking about purchasing a pack of massages or an unlimited monthly pass.  I’m also thinking about getting a 30-minute massage from a therapist right after I use the table so s/he can work on my knots between my shoulders a little deeper and not have to worry about any other part of my body.

As someone who aspires to being a spa owner, I would definitely consider investing in one of these tables.  It would be an excellent add-on to any spa service, including a therapist-led massage (a great warm-up for the muscles).  I couldn’t get the price of the particular bed I was on (you have to request a quote) but comparable models seem to run around the $5K mark.  If properly marketed, especially as an add-on service, you could probably make your money back within a year or so.

I want to give a sincere thanks to priorityfitness since they generously donated massages to our group.  You’ll be likely to hear from me soon!

For more details on the table I experienced, visit HydroMassage’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment