Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reflexology

Last week, my husband bought me a 60-minute reflexology session Groupon from local, Nine Dragons Foot Finesse.


For those that aren't familiar with reflexology, it is a type of massage localized on the hands and feet; however, it is meant to treat the entire body.  It is believed that all parts of the body are mapped out on the hands and feet.  Using an acupressure technique, you manipulate the areas to treat different areas of the body.  For example, got problems with your sinuses?  You're going to apply pressure to the area just below each toe on the top of the foot.

Now I'm no stranger to reflexology.  I attended esthetics school in Hawaii and Japanese and Chinese rituals were a standard part of the curriculum. We learned the basics of foot and hand reflexology so we could integrate them into our facial services.  

Make no mistake, I do not believe in reflexology to replace traditional medicine.  I do think it can compliment it, but if you have an ailment, seek medical advice as soon as possible.  If you enjoy Eastern Medicine, there are plenty of holistic MDs that can assist you in the treatment plan that is right for you.

Back to my visit...

When I arrived, they led me back into a large room filled with reflexology beds.  I laid down, face-up and fully clothed.  I knew right away that there was going to be a communication issue between my therapist and I, but I decided just to go with the flow.  I figured the universal sign of "ouch" and "hot" would get me through any issues I may have.






She had me soak my feet in hot water, and to create a steam environment, covered my feet and bowl with plastic wrap.  She then proceeded to give me a facial massage and one of the most heavenly scalp massages I've ever received.  My therapist worked on my shoulders and then gave me a hand and arm massage.

My only complaint up to this point was that my legs were hanging over the end of the bed into the water tub and my back didn't have any support.  Still, I was thoroughly enjoying my experience.  I was caught off-guard when she was working on the first arm and she sat down on the table next to me, but having given many a hand massage, I understood why she did it.  Besides, the tables were extra wide and it wasn't like she was on top of me... yet.

She walked to the end of the table and made sure my feet were clean before she started working on them.  She went between each toe and every nook and cranny my feet had.  It felt wonderful.  She sat down to work on my feet and was incredibly thorough making sure to hit every major reflexology point.  I was in a state of complete bliss.  Possibly comatose.

The finishing move on my feet made me giggle at first.  She was punching and slapping them quickly and in a rhythmic method.  The "abuse" moved up the sides of my calves and back down again.  I kept thinking to myself I was going to end up with bruises (I bruise ridiculously easily) and I thought you could really hurt someone by punching the bottoms of their feet.  Neither were true, or I should say the techniques she used didn't leave me in pain or with bruises.  Just complete relaxation.

She began working on the front of my legs and I was slightly startled when she began kneading my inner thighs.  Performing massage myself, I rarely touch anyone above the inner part of the knee without asking and/or warning them it is going to happen.  My therapist just went for it, and I'm so glad she did.  I'm not sure what tension I had there, but my legs immediately turned to jelly.  Was I a little startled at first?  Yeah, I was, but had she stopped the flow of the massage and woke me up out of my blissful state to make a decision... I just think it would have taken a really relaxing moment and turned it into an awkward one.  It wasn't sexual, as you think it might be.  It was therapeutic and quite enjoyable.

I then turned over and she placed multiple towels over my back.  She began working on my back performing acupressure on my muscles and Shiatsu moves around my spine.  It was absolutely wonderful.  She used the towels as a shield and to protect my clothing, exposing very small amounts of my back at a time to work on it.

Suddenly, she jumped on the bed and straddled my back.  Again, startled at first, but quickly lulled back into a dream-like state.  She worked on my backside seemingly finding every knot I had in my glutes. I could tell she was running short on time because her movements began to speed up.  No matter, it still felt wonderful.  It finished with her slapping and chopping up and down my back and me not wanting to get up off the table.

So how would I describe this experience?  One of the most bizarre and wonderful experiences of my spa career.  I highly suggest trying this out and just go with the flow.  You are fully clothed and in a room full of people so it is a comfortable and safe environment.  The Groupon that was purchased gave me the 60-minute treatment for $29.  Regular price is only $58 which is extremely reasonable for the amount of work they do.

If you're interested in the location at which I had my service:
Nine Dragons Foot Finesse
10347 Indianapolis Blvd
Highland, IN 46322
219.922.8885
Thank you so much for the wonderful experience!

As always, here's to good skin!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can just imagine the feeling. It really felt wonderful being massaged with a skillful therapist as I had one myself months ago. I wish I could have another spa massage before this year ends.

    ReplyDelete