Friday, June 1, 2012

Test Drive: L’Oreal Magic Lumi – Light Infusing Primer

Since I primarily do make-up, I try to keep in front of new products that come out.  However, I’ll admit that I stick to what I know works.  Seriously, make-up in general is expensive and I hate buying something and it not work the way I want it to.

Unfortunately, you can’t really try drug store make-up and I tend to stay away from product palettes, even in fancier stores.  Trust me.  I’ve worked retail in a make-up/skincare environment.  I can tell you that people violate those things with fingers and – gag – double dipping… even in lipsticks.  Just thinking about it kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So when I found a free sample in one of the gazillion magazines I read, I couldn't wait to give it a try.


Here’s the interesting thing about this product… it says it is a primer, but it really is a liquid highlighter.  A primer is a product you place under your make-up to give it a smooth finish and allow for easier application.  This product can be used alone (something you would never do with a make-up primer in the traditional sense) or mixed with foundation to give your skin a dewy glow.

So I decided to test the product’s performance on a couple of things:
  • Since it says it’s a primer, does it keep my make-up in place, and
  • Does it give my skin a more lively and luminous look.
Of course, there are other things I’ll “report” on, but these are the standards that the product must live up to.

Scent
On L’Oreal’s website, after the product is described it lists “terms used to describe this product”.  It listed three: Good Price, No Smell and Pretty.  Funny it mentioned the “no smell” because that is one of the first things I do with any make-up product – I smell it.  Since it is sitting on my face all day, including underneath my nose, I want it to have little to no smell.  This product really didn’t have a distinguishing scent.  In fact, I don’t think it really smells like anything.

We were off to a good start.

Feel
Many of the primers I’ve used in the past were made with silicone and they feel like a silky gel.  Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer was a little runny to me but not so much that it dripped off my fingers.  I decided to apply it as I would an actual primer – underneath my foundation.  It glided easily over my cheeks, chin, forehead and eyes. 

How did it absorb on my skin?
It absorbed quickly into my skin, which allowed me to start applying foundation immediately.  I appreciate that in a product because I hate having to sit and wait to do my next step.  I have places to go! 

Did it have a visible difference on my face pre-makeup?
Now at this point, L’Oreal says I could stop applying make-up and have a “supple, dewy look.”  I did notice a slight “glow” across the top of my cheeks.  However, I wouldn’t have said I looked finished.  Of course I’d need some concealer, mascara and lip gloss, but additionally, my skin didn’t look like it had an even tone.  Of course, I’m 40-years-old, so I’m sure someone younger than me could probably pull it off.  Alas, I could not.

Did my make-up go on smoothly?
As I said above, the product absorbed quickly and it didn’t leave any tackiness on my skin.  My makeup did glide over the product.  It definitely didn’t sink into any of my dry spots which was a pleasant change to the way my make-up usually goes on.

Was there a visible difference on my face after make-up was applied?
Yes, but not a HUGE one.  My make-up looked slightly more even and the creamier products (foundation & concealer) didn’t sit heavily on my skin.  I also didn’t need as much.

Luckily for me, there was enough of the product in the sample for me to use it a couple of times.  The second time I used it, I mixed it in with my foundation.  I have to admit, it did give me some glow and I didn’t feel like I needed extra blush or bronzer to get that shimmery look to my skin.

Did my make-up last longer?
Absolutely!  I tried this on a day where I had 13 faces of make-up to do in 4 hours.  After a hard sweaty day, my make-up didn’t look thick or cake-like at all.  Also, my eye make-up stayed in place… which is a miracle.  I usually have powder smudges, mascara crackles and running liner on a good day.  I had NONE with this.

So the true test is would I buy it again?  The answer is yes, and I already have.  It is a cheaper alternative to some of the pricier liquid highlighters out there.  However, I wouldn’t buy it to use as a primer.

You can get L’Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer at any drugstore or store that sells L’Oreal products.  As always, here’s to good skin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment